This Mug Brownie recipe is rich and gooey with deep chocolate flavor. It has everything a regular brownie has, but is much easier to make and comes together in minutes!
This one is for the chocolate-lovers. Those of you who occasionally like just a little touch of something sweet (read: chocolate!) for dessert. You are my people.
As much as I love chocolate, I have to admit I don’t always want a big batch of dessert in the house. It’s one thing to nibble on a little piece of dark chocolate, but it’s quite another to eat a brownie (or three, lol) because there’s a huge pan in the kitchen.
But some days just call for dessert. Ladies, I know you know. And so enter this Brownie in a Mug Recipe that's made in the microwave!
It’s for the days you want dessert but a) don’t want a whole batch of dessert, and b) don’t really feel like making dessert.
The Best Brownie in a Mug Recipe
Mug Brownie Ingredients
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Granulated sugar
- All-purpose flour
- Light brown sugar
- Avocado oil
- Whole milk
- Egg yolk
- Vanilla extract
How to Make a Brownie in a Mug
- Lightly spray the inside of a standard-sized microwave-safe mug with coconut oil. Add the dry ingredients, and stir to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients.
- Stir until smooth.
Equipment for This Recipe
Variations on This Recipe
- Coffee. Enhance the chocolate flavor without adding more chocolate. Just add 1/8 teaspoon instant espresso powder dissolved in 1/2 teaspoon hot water!
- Add-ins. Mix it up and make it your own. You can add up to 2 tablespoons of chopped nuts, chocolate chips, or sprinkles.
- Toppings. Vanilla ice cream is classic on top of a warm brownie, but whipped cream is also delicious! Or go with fresh berries, chocolate chips, chopped nuts, or shredded coconut.
Tips for Making a Brownie in a Mug
- Make this right before you want to eat it because it’s texture is best eaten while it’s still warm and gooey.
- I don’t recommend reheating this because it can dry out.
- For the best flavor and texture, this is done microwaving when it still looks a touch doughy in the center. I like to check it after 1 minute.
Mug Brownie FAQs
What Makes Brownies Fudgy?
In a word, fat! A higher fat content is usually why brownies are fudgy or chewy instead of cakey.
Another factor is the leavening agent, such as baking powder or baking soda. Many brownie recipes don’t call for a leavening agent. However, if you want to achieve cakey brownies, it can help to include a leavener.
This recipe yields a chewy, fudgy Brownie in a Mug and doesn’t require a leavening agent.
Should I Use Butter or Oil for Brownies?
Butter will yield a slightly cakeier brownie. On the other hand, oil will result in a slightly denser, fudgier brownie.
In this chocolate Mug Brownie Recipe, you can use either oil as the recipe says, or substitute with 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly.
Can I Make a Microwave Mug Brownie in Oven?
Yes! To make this in the oven instead of the microwave, grease the inside of an oven-safe 6 ounce ramekin with coconut oil spray. Pour in the batter and bake in a preheated 350F oven until it's set along the outside, but still looks a touch under-baked in the center, about 15 to 20 minutes.
More Microwave Dessert Recipes
Brownie in a Mug
- Coconut oil spray for the mug
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tablespoon light brown sugar lightly packed
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon whole milk or any kind of milk you like
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Optional Topping Ideas:
- Vanilla ice cream
- Whipped cream
- Fresh berries
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Lightly spray the inside of a 10 to 12 ounce microwave-safe mug with coconut oil spray.
- Use a fork to stir together the cocoa powder, granulated sugar, all-purpose flour, light brown sugar, and salt in the mug.
- Add the oil, milk, egg yolk, and vanilla, and stir to combine.
- Microwave on high until the brownie is cooked, about 1 minute to 1 minute, 30 seconds. If you like gooey brownies, check it after 1 minute.
- Serve while it’s still warm, with any toppings you like.
- Nutritional Information: Nutrition information for this recipe was calculated without the optional topping ideas. The nutrition information is for 1 serving, which is 1/2 of the Mug Brownie.
- Serving Tip: This Brownie in a Mug is best eaten while it’s still warm. I don’t recommend reheating it because it can dry out.